Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Comings and Goings

Making cards has been very low on my list just now as Billy and I had to head home at short notice at the end of April, as Billy's dad passed away, suddenly but peacefully. Billy and I were saddened that we didn't get home in time to say our goodbyes, but when Helen (my late mother-in-law) finally granted his wish, to come back and take him on his holidays, Tara, Sarah, Will, Mikey, Rita and Doug were there to see him off.

Anyway less of the morbid stuff and onto the cards. The first card I made once I returned to Bahrain was for one of the guys that works in Billy's department in the Refinery, a joyous occasion, the birth of his first child, a boy called Yousif - the 'comings' part in this post title Didn't know where to start so flicked through some magazines for some inspiration and found the card shape in 'Let's make Cards' issue 32. I started off with the card shape but that changed as I tried to get a backing paper and I found on a freebie cd that I got ages ago from Papercraft Essentials. After printing off the backing paper I trimmed it to fit the card and cut out one of the elephants and mounted it on foam pads. The sentiment was stamped onto card and matted on the same blue card as the base card and et voila this is the end result.

The next card I made falls into the 'goings' category of the post title. This is another farewell card and one that was done at very short notice. When I spoke to Pat the only instructions I got was that the card was for a couple who were regular attenders at the wee church along the road from me and who were leaving Bahrain to return home. My initial thought was using one of my palm tree stamps for the image but how to incorporate their faith, without being overtly religious. Then it dawn on me to cut out the shape of a cross and mat the image over it. After a rummage in my stash for cardstock this is the final result.

Thanks for popping by.

2 comments:

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

OH hun I am so sorry for you loss huge hugs for you both xx

Love you card the shape is fab and so different
Hugs shell xx

Louise Emma said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of Billy's dad hun, hope you are all bearing up ok x Big hugs x

Lovely cards xxx